Saturday, February 25, 2012

Please help: Can not start Report Server Web Service for 2000

I have spent several days trying to figure it out, I am out of options now.
I have a SQL Server 2000 Standard, patched with SP4, installed on Windows
Server 2003 SP1, I installed Report Server 2000 Standard edition (Report
Server and Report Manager components). At the end of installation, I got a
warning saying that I have to manually initialize Report server for the first
time for it to work. But when I tried somethng like
http://localhost/ReportServer, I received "Service Unavailable". I have made
sure ASP .Net v1.1.4322 is registered with IIS (6.0 SP1), use Network Service
account for ASP .Net, etc. From the event log, itsaid W3Wp encounterd an
application exeption, there was no log for ReportServer.
I really don't know what if going on here as it worked perfectly on another
Windows Server 2003, the difference is that I has Visual Studio .Net 2003
installed on that machine, but I think VS is only necessary if you want to
install Report Designer.
I read through a lot of newsgroup, tried all those suggestions, but still
not be able to fix it.
Thanks in advance for any info.
did you try using RSactivate utility to manually activate report
server?
If yes is it successful, if not what is the error message
|||Yes I did try it, it failed. The message was like " the report server web
service has not generated a public key".
I checked ReportServer database keys table, there is an entry for client =
1, from what I read, it is supposed to have an entry for client = 0 once
http://localhost/ReportServer is invoked or manually activated.
I think the problem is that Report Server web service somehow crashed, that
would explain whay there was no log file like ReportServer_timestamp.txt.
Now I am suspecting it may be because of the patches, Win2003 SP1 or SQL
2000 SP4. The another Win2003 worked has no SP1, and SQL 2000 is SP3.
Unfortunatlly right now rolling back is not an option.
"Shadow" wrote:

> did you try using RSactivate utility to manually activate report
> server?
> If yes is it successful, if not what is the error message
>

No comments:

Post a Comment