Monday, February 20, 2012

Please help! SQL Server2000 Performance

Dear all,
I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with three
SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM. The pc
also install SQL Server 2000.
I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing speed
of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G harddisk,
Intel 1.7GHz.
Why'
It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
--
Regards,
Anthony LamAre you 100% certain that you have RAID0 and not RAID5?
--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
Archive at:
http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver
"AA" <anthony@.jadeflex.com> wrote in message
news:OThRpq8vDHA.2352@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Dear all,
> I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with three
> SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
> Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM. The
pc
> also install SQL Server 2000.
> I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
> I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing speed
> of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G
harddisk,
> Intel 1.7GHz.
> Why'
> It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Lam
>|||Try running the System Monitor utility & try to identify where the
bottleneck is on your server. You can find it under Start / Programs / Admin
Tools / System Monitor.
You might get some useful information from a simple trace on CPU, Memory &
Physical Disk queues..
How are you submitting your workloads to these machines? Are you logged on
to the console of both machines individually, or are you sending commands to
the server from the PC (using the network) perhaps?
Then there are many database settings which might be in play as well.
This might give you a few extra ideas though..
HTH
Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
"AA" <anthony@.jadeflex.com> wrote in message
news:OThRpq8vDHA.2352@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Dear all,
> I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with three
> SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
> Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM. The
pc
> also install SQL Server 2000.
> I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
> I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing speed
> of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G
harddisk,
> Intel 1.7GHz.
> Why'
> It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
> --
> Regards,
> Anthony Lam
>|||Actaully, when I monitor to the CPU, Memory ...in the system monitor, all
are really ok. CPU utilization is really low and the Memory is enough.
So, I am really no idea to solve it.
Actually, when I create the RAID 0, It allows me to set the Strip size. I
just select default size.
What is the meaning of "Strip size"? How to determine that value?
Is that reason to make the writing speed so slow?
Anthony
"Greg Linwood" <g_linwoodremovethisbeforeemailingme@.hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:eOEkbb9vDHA.2448@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Try running the System Monitor utility & try to identify where the
> bottleneck is on your server. You can find it under Start / Programs /
Admin
> Tools / System Monitor.
> You might get some useful information from a simple trace on CPU, Memory &
> Physical Disk queues..
> How are you submitting your workloads to these machines? Are you logged on
> to the console of both machines individually, or are you sending commands
to
> the server from the PC (using the network) perhaps?
> Then there are many database settings which might be in play as well.
> This might give you a few extra ideas though..
> HTH
> Regards,
> Greg Linwood
> SQL Server MVP
> "AA" <anthony@.jadeflex.com> wrote in message
> news:OThRpq8vDHA.2352@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > Dear all,
> > I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with
three
> > SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
> > Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM.
The
> pc
> > also install SQL Server 2000.
> > I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
> > I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing
speed
> > of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G
> harddisk,
> > Intel 1.7GHz.
> >
> > Why'
> > It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Anthony Lam
> >
> >
>|||Hi - sorry I've missed answering this earlier.
This is quite rudimentary analysis, but if you're observations re memory &
cpu are correct, then it suggests that you've got a i/o bound performance
problem. Sorting this type of problem out can be confusing at first as the
root cause can be in a few places & not necessarily at the hardware layer.
First, you may have a physical design problem - something simple such as a
poorly chosen clustered index which causes page splits during the insert
operations (page splits can cause excessive i/o). Then again, it could be at
the hardware configuration level such as disk configuration. There are a
variety of potential problems in this area, including stripe size.
Before launching much further into analysis with RAID configuration, can you
confirm that you're actually using hardware raid? Or are you using Windows
raid? You didn't give much info about what raid you're using. I'm
suspecting hardware raid, given that you're not seeing high cpu utilization,
but the whole picture changes if you're using WIndows raid (generally not a
good idea). Hardware raid nearly always out performs software raid.
Stripe size is the number of blocks in each stripe accross the striped set
of disks. This is commonly referred to in either pure # of blocks & also kb.
The ideal stripe size depends on various things, including number, speed &
size of disk spindles, controller cache & perhaps most importantly useage
patterns. This is too much of a complex topic for me to easily summarise for
you in a single post, so I suggest that you do some research, but my
experience is that anything from 8k - 64k (commony default for Windows &
many controllers) is good for SQL Server. 64k is an allocation size for SQL
Server which is often good for data acquisition type applications as table
spaces are written in 64k "extents'.
HTH
Regards,
Greg Linwood
SQL Server MVP
"AA" <anthony_lam@.iname.com> wrote in message
news:uB67YRAwDHA.2880@.tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
> Actaully, when I monitor to the CPU, Memory ...in the system monitor, all
> are really ok. CPU utilization is really low and the Memory is enough.
> So, I am really no idea to solve it.
> Actually, when I create the RAID 0, It allows me to set the Strip size. I
> just select default size.
> What is the meaning of "Strip size"? How to determine that value?
> Is that reason to make the writing speed so slow?
> Anthony
>
> "Greg Linwood" <g_linwoodremovethisbeforeemailingme@.hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:eOEkbb9vDHA.2448@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> > Try running the System Monitor utility & try to identify where the
> > bottleneck is on your server. You can find it under Start / Programs /
> Admin
> > Tools / System Monitor.
> >
> > You might get some useful information from a simple trace on CPU, Memory
&
> > Physical Disk queues..
> >
> > How are you submitting your workloads to these machines? Are you logged
on
> > to the console of both machines individually, or are you sending
commands
> to
> > the server from the PC (using the network) perhaps?
> >
> > Then there are many database settings which might be in play as well.
> >
> > This might give you a few extra ideas though..
> >
> > HTH
> >
> > Regards,
> > Greg Linwood
> > SQL Server MVP
> >
> > "AA" <anthony@.jadeflex.com> wrote in message
> > news:OThRpq8vDHA.2352@.TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> > > Dear all,
> > > I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with
> three
> > > SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
> > > Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM.
> The
> > pc
> > > also install SQL Server 2000.
> > > I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
> > > I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing
> speed
> > > of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G
> > harddisk,
> > > Intel 1.7GHz.
> > >
> > > Why'
> > > It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > >
> > > Anthony Lam
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment