Monday, February 20, 2012

Please help! SQL Server2000 Performance in RAID0.

Dear All,
I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is RAID0 with three
SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G RAM.
Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200 rpm), 1G RAM. The pc
also install SQL Server 2000.
I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server, the writing speed
of High end server is slower than my pc that just a single IDE 40G harddisk,
Intel 1.7GHz.
Why'
Actaully in the High end server, when I monitor to the CPU, Memory in the
system monitor, all are really ok. CPU utilization is really low and the
Memory is enough.
So, I am really no idea to solve it.
Actually, when I create the logical drive in RAID 0, It allows me to set
the Strip size. I just select it by default size.
What is the meaning of "Strip size"? How to determine that value?
Is that reason to make the writing speed so slow?
It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
--
Regards,
Anthony LamFirst, you're not comparing apples to apples. Different
things have different overhead, and that all ties back to
configuration too.
RAID 0 is an odd choice for SQL Server ... RAID 1, RAID
10, or RAID 5 are common (depending on usage), but not
plain RAID 0. SO that may be part of it.
Beyond that, you should format the disks with 64k clusters
at a low level as well as in NTFS. That will make the
data disks optimized for SQL Server.
>--Original Message--
>Dear All,
> I have a high end server that OS isWin20000 Server is
RAID0 with three
>SCSI 30G Harddisk (10000rpm). Intel CPU 3.GHz with 2G
RAM.
>Also, I have a pc that is 1.7G Hz with a 40G IDE (7200
rpm), 1G RAM. The pc
>also install SQL Server 2000.
>I install MSSQL 2000 in both High end server and the pc.
>I try to write the same set of data to Both SQL Server,
the writing speed
>of High end server is slower than my pc that just a
single IDE 40G harddisk,
>Intel 1.7GHz.
>Why'
>Actaully in the High end server, when I monitor to the
CPU, Memory in the
>system monitor, all are really ok. CPU utilization is
really low and the
>Memory is enough.
>So, I am really no idea to solve it.
>Actually, when I create the logical drive in RAID 0, It
allows me to set
>the Strip size. I just select it by default size.
>What is the meaning of "Strip size"? How to determine
that value?
>Is that reason to make the writing speed so slow?
>It make me very surprised. Any suggestion?
>--
>Regards,
>Anthony Lam
>
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment